No products in the cart.
Like stone, wood and wool, leather is a natural product. It has been a prized comity throughout history and is one of man’s earliest and most useful discoveries. Early man used leather for countless items including footwear, clothes, gloves, shields and saddles due to its durability. In recent times, leather has become more popular in the furniture industry due to its many positive attributes and features.
From the consumer standpoint, buying leather furniture can seem to be a “no brainer”! You don’t have to choose a fabric, thus simplifying decor decisions for the design-challenged. However, when choosing a leather piece for your home, it pays to be knowledgeable.
- Leather outlasts most fabric coverings, having an exceptionally long life
- It will not tear and is twice as strong as other upholstery materials – even along the seam lines
- It is fire resistant and emits no toxic fumes, even when exposed to intense heat
- Modern full grain leather products won’t crack or peel
- Quality leather stretches and retains its shape without sagging
- It “breathes”, assumes body temperature rapidly and is instantaneously comfortable
- It resists heat and sun damage
- Leather is a practical material and works well with busy lifestyles
- No special solvents or cleaners and no lengthy expensive procedures are necessary for its care
- Leather generally ages well and actually in some cases, get BETTER with age.
LEATHER INFORMATION WHEN SHOPPING
The following are types of leather to consider and their characteristics.
This semi-aniline leather has a pigmented finish applied to the surface for protection from stains and consistency of color. The natural grain, however is still evident.
- Uniform in color & texture
- Less likely to fade
- Easy care
- Great for families
Like a fingerprint, each hide is unique, surface marks testify to the leather’s authenticity.
- Naturally finished
- Also called full-aniline
- Shows lots of character
Otherwise known as distressed leather, waxed leather ages beautifully and develops a soft patina over time.
- Color variations
- Natural markings are very apparent
- Antique in appearance
- Will age gracefully
Specialty leathers are for the person who wants unique, one-of-a-kind leather furniture.
- High fashion
- Exotic in appearance
- Pattern or design on surface
- Makes a statement
Leather’s richness will show through and will be supple to the touch when shopping. Leather furniture will accentuate your home decor with performance, elegance and longevity for many years to come!
Enjoy your Leather Shopping Experience!